Tuesday 2 November 2010

King's Cross to Finsbury Park

This new format (trialled in my reflective journal, on happening to get a seat on the tube) arose after I read this by Louise Bourgeois:

"...to rewind is to make a spiral. And the action demonstrates that even though time is unlimited, there is a limit to how much you can put on it. As you are tightening the spiral you must take care.

"If you tighten too much you risk breaking it. It is the same with sewing.

"Sewing without a knot at the end of the thread is not sewing. In this sense the spiral is a metaphor of consistency. I am consistent in my spiral. For me there is no break. There is never an interruption in the spiral because I cannot stand interruptions."

(quoted in Louise Bourgeois, The Fabric Works, Skira, 2010, p140; from a conversation with Paulo Herkenhoff in Louise Bourgeois eds Robert Storr, Paulo Herkenhoff and Allan Schwartzman; Phaidon, 2003, p12)

No comments:

Post a Comment